Day 20 - The Entertainment Industry
“Do not take advantage of each other, but fear your God. I am the Lord your God.”
AREAS TO CONSIDER
- In the quest for success, people in the arts and entertainment industry are often willing to do anything, especially to land that first big break; this desperation is regularly exploited, fueling tendencies toward mental health problems and addictive behaviors. (1)
- “Casting couches” are very much a reality; this phrase refers to the practice of aspiring actors/actresses being coerced into performing sexual favors in order to get their big debut in the industry. (2)
- In the music industry, record labels, producers, and agents are often generating billions by exploiting musicians themselves; this can include studio and touring costs that outweigh royalties, stolen copyrights, and hidden contract costs, among other things. The financial corruption in the music industry runs deep and unfortunately has come to be considered standard practice by many the dues one has to pay for a musical career. (3)
- Women are particularly exploited in this industry, whether expected to perform sexual behaviors as a means to success or being used as marketing tools because of the mantra, “Sex sells.” (4)
Father God, I ask that You would forgive me for any way that I have taken advantage of others, or exploited them for any reason. If I have mistreated people in any way, I ask that You would reveal it to me and help me to walk in love towards every person I know.
Lord, on behalf of the nation we ask Your forgiveness for the mistreatment of others. We repent for not valuing individuals and their gifts and, instead, exploiting them for our own gain. Expose the corruption of mistreating others for personal or financial profit and shine Your light in our entertainment industry!
- Pray for the
exploitative practices in Hollywood to be exposed and dealt with, that
people would not turn a blind eye just for the sake of entertainment. (
- Pray for
influential people to bring reform to the music industry, that the new
standard would be treating people well and giving honor where it is due.
- Pray for a new culture that affirms human dignity and worth to sweep over the arts and entertainment world. (Philippians 2:3)
- Evaluate your own life and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal any
way that you may have taken advantage of people. If so, make it right
with all involved.
- If you are a pastor or church leader, allow the Holy
Spirit to show you where you may be taking advantage of someone’s gifts,
talents or calling.
- Guard yourself from being influenced by Hollywood’s low moral standards. You may need to give up certain movies or TV shows but it will be worth it for your relationship with Christ and your family.
- Lela, Wayne. “Hollywood According To Those ‘In The Know’.” H.O.M.E. Web. 14 July 2014. http://www.home60515.com/26.
- “Casting couch.” Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
- “Crime and Corruption: Recognizing Unethical Practices in the
Music Business.” Music Think Tank. 7 April 2009. Web. 15 July 2014 http://www.musicthinktank.com/
blog/crime-and-corruption- recognizing-unethical- practices-in-the.html
- Keough, Peter. “Taking it off takes off.” Chicago Tribune. 30 April 1995