Day 18 - Pedophilia in Hollywood
“But Jesus called the children to him and said, ‘Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.’” -Luke 18:16
There is little question that the Arts and Entertainment industry in the United States has a powerful influence on culture, not only in our own nation, but around the globe. People are quick to point out the moral corruption in the products released by this industry, but there are actually systems of corruption woven into the fiber of this sphere, easily covered up by the glamor of being rich and famous.
AREAS TO CONSIDER
- Recent charges brought against a high profile Hollywood director and several other industry moguls have highlighted an ongoing issue with child abuse in the entertainment world. (1)
- Experts say predators and pedophiles
are more rampant than ever; parents are often reluctant to bring charges
if and when they find out for fear of ruining their child’s acting
career or the perpetrator’s reputation. (2)
- Corey Feldman, an actor and survivor of childhood sexual abuse in Hollywood, has publicly shared: “I can tell you that the No. 1 problem in Hollywood was and is and always will be pedophilia.” (3)
- The drive for fame, the adult world child actors are thrown into, and the lack of genuine adult supervision in many aspects of entertainment life create an overwhelming vulnerability for children and teenagers pursuing acting careers. (3)
Father God, forgive me if I, in any way, have not stood up against the sexual abuse of children in my community, church, or even family if it exists. Open my eyes to recognize the abuse of children around me that I may be an agent for Kingdom justice!
Lord, we ask Your forgiveness on behalf of the nation for the sin of pedophilia, particularly in Hollywood. We repent for this blatant immorality that victimizes and confuses children, and ask that You would expose and eliminate it in Hollywood.
- Pray that pedophiles will no longer be able to hide behind
money and fame, but will be exposed and brought to justice. (Psalm
- Pray that victims and their parents will have the
courage to speak up. Pray also that victims would experience the healing
power of God and find salvation in Him. (Deuteronomy 31:6)
- Pray for other states to pass legislation preventing registered sex offenders from working with children in the entertainment industry. As of October 2013, California was the only state to have this law in place. (Proverbs 18:5)
- If you know any children who you suspect may be suffering
from sexual and/or physical abuse, carefully and prayerfully speak with
them and/or their parents about your concerns. While it is important to
not accuse anyone of abusing a child, your concerns may be what ends the
suffering of a child.
- Consider taking classes that will aid you in recognizing and helping abused children.
- Waldman, Katy. “What We Know So Far About the Hollywood Sex Ring Allegations.” Slate. 22 April 2014. Web. 15 July 2014. http://slate.com/blogs/xx_
factor/2014/04/22/hollywood_ sex_ring_lawsuits_a_primer_on_ the_allegations_against_bryan_ singer.html
- McKay, Holly. “Experts: Pedophiles in
Hollywood even bigger problem than in Corey Feldman’s day.” Fox News. 30
October 2013. Web. 15 July 2014. http://www.foxnews.com/
entertainment/2013/10/30/ experts-pedophiles-in- hollywood-even-bigger-problem- than-in-corey-feldmans-day/
- Murphy, Meagan. “Recent Charges of
Sexual Abuse of Children in Hollywood Just Tip of Iceberg, Experts Say.”
FoxNews. 5 December 2011. Web. 15 July 2014. http://www.foxnews.com/
entertainment/2011/12/05/ recent-charges-sexual-abuse- children-in-hollywood-just- tip-iceberg-experts-say/