Day 13 - Law Enforcement
“The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?”
Cynical views of law enforcement officials often perceive them as power-hungry, intent on violating civil rights and making lives miserable. Unfortunately, there are isolated cases where this is true; however, before we begin exploring corruption in law enforcement, it’s very important to state that most law enforcement officials whether on the federal or local level believe in their jobs as security providers and hold deeply to honorable convictions when it comes to protecting people and enforcing the law of the land.
AREAS TO CONSIDER
- Profit skimming
This occurs when an officer skims money from the top of drug dealers’ profits and, in return, allows those dealers to function in a geographic location.
- Personal services
This could include soliciting prostitutes or buying narcotics from criminals. At times, officers can even be paid in prostitution or drugs to look the other way and allow crime to occur.
- Mafia relations
Usually this begins casually. There have been instances in the past where officers are given free meals or drinks at mafia-controlled restaurants in order for them to stay out of that particular mafia’s business. As the relationship progresses, officers may be invited to participate in illegal gambling activities which can turn into doing favors for the organized crime groups.
- Systemic corruption
Although not common, it is possible for corruption in law enforcement to be systemic. This means the corruption flows from leadership down, forcing, influencing or coercing lower positions to participate.
Father God, I ask that You would forgive me if I, in any way, have usurped authority for my own gain. I pray that You would teach me to be respectful of authority at all times.
Lord, we stand in repentance on behalf of the United States for allowing corruption to occur in law enforcement. Forgive us, oh God, for not creating the accountability needed to ensure integrity and honesty within our law enforcement system. Expose any corruption occurring in law enforcement, and bring to justice those are operating in corrupt ways.
- Pray for the hearts of our law
enforcement officials to not be influenced by corruption, and for their
eyes to be opened to salvation found in Christ. (1 John 1:9)
- Pray for conviction to fall on those who are participating in
corruption in law enforcement, and for all corruption to be exposed.
- Pray for better accountability systems to be implemented in
law enforcement structures that would prevent corruption from occurring.
- Pray for the families of law enforcement officers. Declare that the spirits of addiction, divorce, and adultery be broken, and pray for God’s hand of protection to be over them. (Psalm 91)
- Commit to praying daily for law enforcement officers in your area.
- Contact your local police station to see how you can get involved and support police officers as a civilian.
- If you know any law enforcement officers, consider reaching out and developing a deeper relationship with them. Allow them to share their struggles with you, pray for them and watch God use you make a positive impact in their lives!