Day 17 - Lack of Accountability in Media
“The integrity of the upright guides them, but the unfaithful are destroyed by their duplicity.”
AREAS TO CONSIDER
- One of the primary factors enabling corruption in the media industry is a lack of accountability; few avenues exist to challenge poor reporting.
The public is the main source of checks and balances; however, many
have neither the time nor interest to pursue charges against an
- Many media giants either have not implemented or do not enforce accountability policies that keep outlets from reporting falsely.
- Media companies control thousands of organizations, social networking sites, web browsers, software and graphics companies. This means that news and other similar organizations can be limited in what they are able report about certain issues. For example, a reporter might feel compelled to report a child labor case tied to a certain company, but fail to report on the matter because their parent organization owns the company. This would damage the reputation of the parent organization and create a loss in revenue.
Lord God, I ask that You would forgive me if I have not taken steps to ensure that I have strong accountability in my life that would keep me from moral corruption. Help me to trust in others for their accountability that I may be pure in my living.
Father God, we repent on behalf of our nation for failing to develop secure accountability systems in our media sphere that would keep media giants from overstepping their boundaries. Forgive us for not caring enough to ensure honesty and integrity in our media. We ask that You would expose corrupt practices in our nation’s media.
- Pray that editors, journalists, and reporters would have
courage and boldness in the workplace and that God’s heart will be made
evident through their work. (Proverbs 28:1)
- Pray for more accountability structures to be developed and enforced by media corporations. (Proverbs 10:9)
- Pray that God would expose any corrupt activity
by news outlets and giants that withholds the truth from being reported.
- Pray for large companies who influence or take away the rights of others for their own agenda and/or financial gain to be closely evaluated and held accountable. (Psalm 106:3)
- Write letters to the editor or guest columns to hold news organizations accountable for the content they publish.
- Encourage believers to get involved in media. In order to change and challenge the apparent liberal bias and corruptive journalism methods taking over our media system, we need to encourage people of integrity to pursue places of authority and influence.